Renting a car in Perth offers the flexibility and freedom to explore this beautiful Australian city at your own pace. But before you get behind the wheel, it’s crucial to be well-informed. This guide covers everything you need to know to ensure a hassle-free experience.
Understanding Perth’s Driving Regulations
If you are an overseas traveller driving in Perth, there are several important considerations to keep in mind:
- Driver’s License: You can drive with your overseas driver’s license in Australia, provided it is valid, has a photo, and is in English. If it’s in a different language, you’ll need an English translation or an international driving permit.
- Road Conditions: The roads in Western Australia, including those in Perth, are generally well-maintained, and it’s easy to get around the state. The highways between Perth and major towns and cities are in great condition, making it convenient for travellers to explore the region
- Driving Rules: In Australia, vehicles drive on the left side of the road. It’s important to familiarise yourself with the local driving rules and regulations, especially if you’re used to driving on the right side of the road.
Most of the road rules in Western Australia, including Perth, are contained within the WA Road Traffic Code 2000. It’s important to be familiar with these rules to ensure safety and compliance
Additionally, The “Drive Safe” handbook provides a comprehensive guide to the road rules that apply in Western Australia. It covers major road rules and additional safety advice
Choosing the Right Vehicle for Your Needs
Select a car that suits your travel plans. A compact car is perfect for city driving, while an SUV might be ideal for adventurous road trips. Consider fuel economy, especially if you’re planning long drives.
Based on our experience, we usually recommend:
- Small Cars: Small cars are perfect for day trips and easier to park, making them suitable for navigating urban areas and reaching various attractions and scenic spots. They are also good picks for individuals or couples.
- Sedans: Sedans typically offer comfortable seating for up to five passengers (ideal for a group of friends or families), ample trunk space for luggage, and good fuel economy, making them suitable for long drives and sightseeing.
- SUVs: Renting an SUV is a versatile option, especially for long road trips, urban driving, and activities such as camping. Their seat and luggage capacity makes them ideal for larger groups, or those with more luggage, making them a practical option.
- People Movers: With more ample space for passengers and luggage, making them suitable for family vacations, group outings, or transporting a larger number of people to and from events.
- Luxury Cars: With superior comfort and performance, luxury rentals are ideal for special occasions, business travel, or when you desire a high-end driving experience.
- Vans: When travelling with a large group, such as for family vacations, school trips, or family reunions. Additionally, they are also good for transporting bulky items that may not fit in a personal vehicle.
- Minibus: For bigger, family reunions, or special/business events, that would require you need to transport a larger number of people.
Budgeting for Your Car Rental
Your rental cost will vary based on the car type, rental duration, and insurance. Set a realistic budget and consider pre-booking online to snag better rates. Don’t forget to factor in fuel costs and potential parking fees.
In general, here are key considerations for budgeting a rental throughout your trip:
- Trip Duration: Determine how many days you’ll need the rental car.
- Rental Car Type: Choose a car that fits your needs and budget.
- Rental Car Insurance: Assess insurance coverage to avoid unnecessary costs.
- Fuel Costs: Estimate fuel expenses based on distance and car efficiency.
- Additional Fees: Keep in mind extra charges, taxes, and fees during your trip.
Navigational Tools and Resources
Utilise GPS systems and smartphone apps for real-time traffic updates and route planning. Apps like Google Maps or Waze are popular among local drivers for their accuracy and user-friendliness.
Some of our rental options such as the Renault Koleos 5-Seater SUV feature GPS capabilities that can assist you during your travels in Perth and WA.
Parking Rules and Regulations in Perth
Understanding local parking rules can save you from fines. Look for signposted parking areas and adhere to the time limits. In the city, parking can be scarce, so consider parking on the outskirts and using public transport.
If you’re looking to find easy spots you can park in and around Perth, check out our Perth parking guide.
Dealing with Traffic in Perth
Perth’s peak hours can get busy. Try to plan your travel outside these times to avoid congestion. Being aware of ongoing roadworks through local news sources can also help.
Renting a Car for Business Vs Leisure
Your rental choice may vary if you’re travelling for business or leisure. Comfort and luxury might be your priority for business, while cost-effectiveness and durability could be more important for leisure travel.
As a rule of thumb, if you’re travelling in a small group with friends or families for leisure and holidays, a hatchback, sedan or even an SUV would be ideal.
If you require rentals for a business, a higher-end vehicle such as a luxury car or SUV might be ideal for attending business events, and larger capacity options such as a minibus are better for driving a team to and around events and conventions.
Exploring Perth Off the Beaten Path
With your rental car, venture beyond the usual tourist spots. Visit the Pinnacles Desert or take a day trip to Rottnest Island. These experiences can make your Perth visit truly memorable.
At Aries, we offer remote rentals at a fee for a distance greater than 500km that extends usage to Kalgoorlie, Kalbarri, Esperance, Monkey Mia, Carnarvon, Meekatharra and Exmouth. Check out our area of use page to learn more.
Renting a car in Perth opens up a world of opportunities for exploration and adventure. With the right preparation and knowledge, you can enjoy a seamless and enjoyable driving experience in this beautiful part of Australia.