SUVs and people movers are two different types of rental cars, but what’s the difference? People movers are more compact and are styled to have a smooth ride through urban traffic. SUVs offer an elevated driving position, which many drivers prefer, and are more versatile. People movers are designed for transporting people around an urban area. SUVs are designed for outdoor adventure and offer more storage space compared to people movers. These are just but some of the differences between an SUV and a people mover.
This blog will compare SUVs and People Movers and help readers determine which rental is best for them.
Definition of SUVs and People Movers
Here is how both types of rental cars are defined by the Transportation Research Board.
What is a People Mover?
People movers are full-size or mid-size cars with a longer wheelbase and lower ride height designed for the transportation of people on paved roads. They may have a strip of 2WD low range, which means that when in 4WD, the transmission shifts automatically between 2WD and 4WD to provide additional traction but without the use of a centre differential.
What is an SUV?
SUVs are full-size or mid-size vehicles designed for transporting people on both paved and off-road. They have high ground clearance, and some have even taller fenders that come up to the seat tops. On some, the ride height is adjustable. Most SUVs have full-time 4WD, which means that when in four-wheel drive (4WD), the transmission shifts automatically between two-wheel drive (2WD) and full-time 4WD to provide additional traction with little or no loss of engine power, thereby improving vehicle maneuverability on bad road conditions.
Pros and Cons of People Movers
- Good cornering stability. Compared to SUVs, people movers offer less traction in the dirt and mud, but they make up for it in cornering stability. Their boxier design helps them turn better than SUVs because they have a lower centre of gravity and less body roll.
- Allows easier access to the trunk with a push of a button. Many people movers have a push-button system that enables the driver to open or close the hatch from inside of the car.
- Have a smoother ride than SUVs. The absence of large wheels and tires in front and at the back provides for a smoother ride than SUVs. Their suspension is less taut, and they absorb bumps more easily than SUVs, even when on rocky roads.
- Increased risk of rollover. Because of their body style and size, people movers are more likely to roll over during an accident.
- Not all people movers are capable of handling off-road terrain. Many people movers are not equipped for off-roading.
Pros and Cons of SUVs
- Increased ground clearance. SUVs have larger tires and suspension systems than people movers, which allow them to traverse difficult terrain more easily than people movers. They also offer higher ground clearance to give the driver a better view of the road ahead in rough terrain.
- Increased cargo space with foldable seats. The rear seat can fold down to create more cargo space.
- Less risk of rollover because of the larger wheels and better performance on both paved and off-road.
- Slow acceleration and poor cornering ability on bad roads because of the higher centre of gravity and larger profile.
- Less fuel efficiency because of the larger engine.
- More expensive than people movers because of their added capabilities.
A Comparison of SUVs vs People Movers
People movers are designed for the transportation of people. SUVs are designed for outdoor adventure and have more cargo space than people movers. People movers have less cargo space than SUVs because they were designed to be small. If a driver wants more space to move around with their luggage or personal belongings, they should choose an SUV.
People movers have more passenger capacity than SUVs. An SUV can carry five to seven passengers on one trip, whereas a people mover may have as many as ten or more people on a single trip.
SUVs have more cargo space than people movers because they have a larger cargo area. People movers have a small cargo space that might not be enough to store luggage and other personal belongings for all passengers for long trips and camping.
People movers are more fuel efficient than SUVs because they feature relatively smaller engines. SUVs come with larger engines and therefore consume more fuel compared to people movers. Also, People movers have better fuel efficiency because they are smaller in size, allowing for greater aerodynamics and less weight per horsepower.
SUVs are more expensive than people movers because they offer more features than people movers. SUVs come with added safety and cargo space. When it comes to renting the same applies. People movers are cheaper to rent compared to SUVs.
When to Choose an SUV for Rental
Because of their higher ground clearance, SUVs can go where some cars and minivans cannot. From rock-crawling to snow and mud terrain SUVs can go almost everywhere. If you are looking forward to going on an off-road adventure, then an SUV will better suit you compared to a people mover.
Family Road Trip
SUVs are more spacious, so they accommodate a lot of luggage and other personal belongings. With the added cargo space, it is easy to take a family road trip with an SUV.
SUVs are powerful cars and have enough torque to hook up a boat or trailer and pull it with ease. If you are looking forward to towing your trailer or boat, SUVs are your best bet. The same can be said for anything else you’d like to haul.
Driving in Bad Weather
SUVs are more comfortable than People Movers and offer better handling in bad weather. SUVs have added capabilities and perform better on snow and ice-covered roads compared to smaller cars. If you anticipate encountering bad weather on your trip, taking an SUV over a people mover would be better.
When to Choose a People Mover
People movers are more fuel efficient than SUVs because they were designed to be fuel efficient. If you are keen on saving money on gas, a people mover will better suit you compared to an SUV.
People movers are smaller in size and easier to park because of their smaller profile compared to SUVs. People Movers are also easier to parallel park than SUVs because they can fit into small spaces. This makes people movers easier to use around busy cities and towns.
People movers can carry more people compared to an SUV. This makes them ideal and cost-efficient for group travel. If you are looking forward to travelling around in a group, a people mover will better serve you compared to an SUV.
Caring for a Disabled Family Member
People movers are designed to provide comfort to disabled people. Because they have a wide entrance/exit door, it is easy to take care of a family member with physical disabilities.
From the comparison made above, it is clear that SUVs and People Movers are both good choices to rent for a trip. In general, SUVs offer more power compared to people movers and can drive over off-road terrain. They also come with additional cargo space. People movers on the other hand are often more fuel efficient because of their smaller engines. People movers are also more compact, making them easier to parallel park and have a lower centre of gravity supporting better handling. In the end, it’s up to you to decide which one best meets your needs so be sure to have that in mind when making the choice of which to rent.