Perth, the capital of Western Australia, is located right next to the beautiful and scenic Swan River along the southwest coast, providing the city with a truly magnificent natural backdrop. According to a recent Bureau of Meteorology data, Perth is the sunniest capital city in Australia; boasting an unbelievable annual average of 8.8 hours of sunshine a day. With that amount of daily sunshine, you are more likely to experience good weather and clear skies during your stay here than anywhere else in the country. With that being said, you are probably super excited to start your holiday adventure.
To kick start your adventure, Aries Car Rental has gathered a wealth of information that you may find useful during your stay here and put it all in the one place: Aries Traveller’s Guide (free download). The guide contains information on where to stay, where to eat, places to visit, things to do and much more. If you feel overwhelmed with our comprehensive guide, why not contact us via phone on (08) 9325 4110 or come and have a chat with one of our friendly staff at one of our two convenient locations. While you’re there, why not check out our car rental options and see why people choose us over our competitors.
Below are some of our top picks of places to visit in Perth and beyond.
Kings Park and Botanic Gardens
Located on the edge of Perth CBD, Kings Park and Botanic Gardens can be accessed along main roads such as Fraser Avenue. With a beautiful panoramic view of the city centre and river, it is a perfect location for a family outing or hanging out with friends. If you are a visitor, then make sure that Kings Park is in your checklist of places to visit! Featuring some of the most gorgeous flora collection that Perth has to offer, the Botanic Gardens is heaven for flower lovers.
Things to do at Kings Park:
- Scenic Walkway: Simply walk around the guided footpath and admire the panoramic view of the city while learning about the history of WA’s flora. See the rare giant boab tree known as “Gija Jumulu” that was transported thousands of kilometres from the Kimberley region.
- Play Areas: Why not bring your kids and enjoy one or all of the public play areas located within the boundary of Kings Park, namely the Lotterywest Family Area, Saw Avenue Picnic Area and May Drive Parkland.
- Enjoy the Company of Wildflowers: The iconic Botanic Gardens is home to many of WA’s flora. There are flowers to be seen all year around, with spring season (Sept – Nov) being the best time.
- Capture History: Visit the State War Memorial in heart of Kings Park and honour our servicemen who sacrifice their lives to fight for their country. Take a snapshot at the “Flame of Remembrance” or a journey through the “Kokoda Track Memorial Walk” starting at Kennedy Fountain on Mounts Bay Road.
- DNA Tower: Why not enjoy a different view by climbing more than 100 steps of the twisted DNA Tower. Make sure you take a memorable snapshot at the top before going back down.
Arguably the most popular and well known beach in Perth, Scarborough Beach is a must see destination during your visit here. Known for its year-round surfing and spectacular shoreline, it is not hard to see why the place has so many glowing reviews by visitors.
Scarborough Beach is located on the Sunset Coast Scarborough, also home to a wealth of restaurants, cafes, shops and sea-side accommodations. This Perth attraction is suitable for every taste and budget.
Shopping in Perth
Your stay in Perth is not complete without visiting the many shopping outlets located in the city’s main shopping precinct or other major shopping centres within the metropolitan area such as:
Garden City, Booragon
Westfield Carousel, Cannington
Lakeside Joondalup, Joondalup
Karrinyup Shopping Centre, Karrinyup
Centro Galleria, Morley
Westfield Whitfords City, Hillarys
All of the above shopping centres are fully air-conditioned with plenty of free parking and features many specialty stores, department stores, general supermarkets and food courts. With easy access via buses or trains, there are no excuses for not buying something to bring back home!
Located less than 10 minutes drive from Aries Car Rental (Perth location), the Perth Zoo is a must go-to-destination to see the local and native wildlife in action in their natural habitat environment. There you will be able to see our native animals such as the infamous kangaroos, koalas, dingoes, emus and other local wildlife.
With bbq facilities and plenty of benches on-site, it is the perfect place to have a picnic. With so many animals to see and things to do at Perth Zoo, we recommend you allow yourself plenty of time to explore everything the place has to offer. For more information about the zoo, please visit their official site.
Perth is home to one of the best golf courses in the world. If you are a keen golfer, then you’d love the golf courses located in very close proximity to the city centre. What’s more amazing is that a majority of the golf courses here are open to the general public. So whether you’re a golf fanatic or simply wanting to try it out, Perth is definitely the destination to visit!